TODAY THE WORDS
are WHEN A GUEST BECOMES A PEST
. Oh, come on now, we have all had this happen and no, I am not going to name anyone’s name. Especially in the south, we are famous for that good ole southern hospitality and we go the extra miles to make everyone comfortable. I want to say one additional statement about hospitality; I have experienced great hospitality in the north, out in Colorado, and California. As a matter of fact those Texans brought out the wonderful welcome wagon too. No matter what part of the country you are from; I imagine we have experienced at one time or another the guest who became a pest.
A guest by definition is:
a person who is invited to visit the home of or take part in a function organized by another.
If you have experienced the pest guest, you are going to smile or laugh; or even clinch your teeth as I recall some of the possible infringements by guests while in your home:
* They forget to pack everything they will need for their personal care such as toothpaste, shampoo, feminine needs, etc. Where did they think they were going to a hotel for the freebies?
* They do not eat anything your family does. The specialty eaters like I call them and instead of bringing their ‘must have foods” you have to make special trips to the grocery/drug store and change your menu.
* For some reason, they think hospitality means “I become your servant” for their visit. They park their behinds on the sofa and let you do all of the work.
* They complain because your bed is not as good as their bed in their home. Why did they leave their bed?
* They only want to watch the shows they like and the ones they watch at home. Whose home are they at anyway?
* There are many more violations to the good guest rules but now that I have had some fun listing out those mentioned, you probably have thought of thousands more but you get the drift of the message.
Now for the deeper thought…….You know I am right and we have had the guests who have done some of these violations but let me ask you a question and you will see why Miss Positive has written something negative……If any of these people have died or passed on and you had an opportunity to have them come for one more time, knowing you would have to do all of the same things; would you invite them? Of course you would and so would I and that brings me to the purpose of this message. If we dwell on those things which might seem ridiculous and we only see the negative expectations; we will miss the love and the great family time we need. Before we know it, even the worst guest will not come and you will regret ever thinking anything negative. One more thing: All of us have some negative habits or aggravating traits to others. If we try to be great hosts and great guests ourselves, life may seem a little more hospitable in itself.
DAILY FEATURE BIBLE VERSE:
Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.
(c) copyright 2014 Arline Lott Miller. The material here copyrighted, use only by permission.