TODAY THE WORDS are MY GIFT OF TODAY. When I opened my eyes this morning, I had a beautiful thought. I shared it on Facebook. When I read it I felt a compelling feeling to share this thought with all of you who read the blog. “God gave us another day. What a gift! God wrapped this day with a great sunrise and provided the promise of a day to wrap a loved one and share a hug. God gave us smiles to share with others, even strangers. With our mouths, He breathed His Love to speak of His blessings He has given us. Our eyes were given to see the beauty of God’s world and to look for others who are in need. What a gift this day brings. Unwrap the day and remember to give thanks to God for your present. Enjoy your day! “
I gave this thought a little more thought and it expanded into what we do with the gift of “TODAY”.
If we are blessed with a new day, it is a gift from above. We wake, sometimes begrudgingly. We find ourselves reaching for coffee before we reach for God’s word to fill us in a more incredible way than any caffeine ever produced. I feel so many of you reach for God’s word and enter into meditation and prayer before you start the coffee pot. For those of you who do this, I don’t have to tell you how blessed and wonderful one feels when we drink of the Holy Word. For those of you who haven’t experienced “the blast of the Spirit” first thing in the morning are seriously overrating coffee. I am not saying when to spend time with God as I have talks with Him at different times of the day. I do know my cup of coffee so lovingly made by my husband is my second gift; the first being the praise and thanking God for allowing me to be here to enjoy my cup of coffee and time with the world.
Let’s take a minute and review the average person waking up:
1) Do we stretch? The ability to stretch requires the limbs to move. (gift of motion)
2) Do we speak? I realize some people cannot. With this thought every time we do is a blessing (gift)
3) Do we go to the potty? If we do, what a gift after working with patients who can’t and have to depend on catheters. (gift)
4) Do we hear the birds, cars, planes, frogs, dogs barking or cats meowing, roosters crowing? (the gift of hearing is a true blessing)
5) Do we get hugs from our loved ones and especially from little children or the big kids? (gift of affection and so much better than a cold loveless world)
6) Do we eat and drink? (gift of nourishment and if you have ever been truly hunger, you realize what a gift to be able to fill that need but to be able to eat without assistance or feeding pump is a Godsend)
7) Do you pray? (gift to be cherished as it expresses freedom to worship according to your beliefs)
8) Do you work? (gift even if you have retired because to work requires your body to move; your mind to work; and an overall sense of using so many other gifts)
Now for the deeper thought……The gift of waking up is the beginning of many gifts we receive during the day and are not to be taken for granted. We can use these gifts wisely as one day, the gifts will stop coming in this life. We will be the ones wrapped for our eternal journey. I want us to be considered a gift for God when this life is over and God unwraps us in Heaven.
DAILY FEATURED BIBLE VERSE:
Romans 6:23 ESV
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
(c) copyright 2014 Arline Lott Miller. The material here copyrighted, use only by permission.