Where did we get lost, America?
I remember kicking a can down the road and giggling.
I think about baiting a fishing hook with worm wiggling.
Bonanza’s music still stirs that come a’ running feeling.
And then I wonder why America went awry and reeling.
When did a peanut butter and jelly sandwich stop filling?
Why did cooking a regular meal become unwilling?
With low carbs, no carbs, sugar free, and lactose intolerant.
We forgot how a pot of chicken & dumplings can be so fragrant.
We stopped from laughing and loving while wading in a stream.
We moved to ridiculing others instead of living our country’s dream.
Bring back those good ole summer days of family gathering.
Let us stop the bickering and start those barbecue grills sizzling.
When did we start to feel we are better than another human being?
When did we get used to all of the hideous violence we are seeing?
I remember my parents teaching us to show our manners to all.
Why don’t we respect our elders and teach little ones not to fall?
Bring back the Andy, Barney, and Aunt Bea to teach us right from wrong.
Where is the neighborhood love and choirs singing an old gospel song?
I’d like to hear more of the Yes, Mam and No Sirs and what about Thank You?
An old fashion quilting bee, or just playing checkers or even nothing to do.
Where did we get lost America, and where do we go from here?
Do we sit back and allow the ones who would love for us to live in fear?
Do we care enough to dare to say, don’t steal our country from us!
I want the peaceful life, the joys of simple things and not all the fuss.
America, take a look around and see if our Glory can be found.
We can grow and love while staying the same, safe and sound.
Drown out the noise of the rhetoric, and stand tall with pride.
I may have to find my fishing pole and find my Mayberry stride.
Written by Arline Miller for some food for thought and love for our country!
October 20, 2018
This morning, I had this poem, as most of my writings, come to me and I wrote it free hand. I don’t spend a lot of time making sure it is grammatically correct as I never want to lose the heartwarming effect of the writing. It occurs I could be talking about other countries and way of life as it used to be.
With technology, which I use on a regular basis, I can expand my world into your world and share thoughts and concerns as well as the joys of life. I think we, as a human race, should stop and smell the roses, gardenias, freshly cut grass, listen to the birds chirping, and children laughing. We should act silly more often, laugh at ourselves and with others and not at each other. We should listen more and talk less. We can learn from our elders and not shut them out because they cannot go or do as they could younger. LIVE LIFE, LOVE LIFE, AND LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST by choosing to LIVE LIFE and not EXIST ONLY.
Here is an article on 8 Ways to Get the Most Out of Life
Many people feel that they can’t seem to get their lives moving in the right direction. If you embrace the attitudes below, you will find it much easier to get where you want to go.
- Respect yourself. Without self-respect, you will not have the confidence you need to participate in the world and fulfill your dreams. Being unable to respect yourself is a sign that you need to do some inner healing. Once you have, life can be wonderful again.
- Get emotional support. The energy you get from those people who care about you is a gift. It’s important to remember that those who have close relationships and friendships with others generally live longer and fuller lives. When you feel the need, reach out to someone you know cares about you.
- Employ positive thinking. Keeping your thoughts moving in a positive direction not only makes you feel good in the moment but it also staves off anxiety and depression. It also gives you the one thing that we all need to keep our lives moving forward: hope. The more you employ positive thinking, the longer the effects last.
- Show self-awareness. Knowing who you are and what your purpose is on the planet is one of the keys to happiness. If you don’t know what you want to do with your life at the moment, begin by looking at what you’ve done before that’s made you happy and start creating a list of things that might make you feel that way again.
- Display kindness. Some people believe that being kind is a weakness, and nothing could be further from the truth. Kindness can make the difference between success and failure. It can make your life and relationships deeper and more meaningful. It can also change the lives of others in a very profound and positive way. Kindness is a very powerful tool.
- Seize opportunities. Wonderful things pass our way every day. Unfortunately, even though these things may be desirable, some people find it difficult to summon up the energy to go after them. Reach into your heart and find the strength to take on the potential in your life.
- Trust your intuition. When you get a gut feeling, listen to it. If what you want isn’t going to hurt you or anyone else, and the outcome could be a positive one, go for it. Our inner voices can give us a lot of good information and the inspiration we need to help us achieve our goals.
- Don’t hide. If you want to make a difference on the planet or just make a difference for yourself, you have to get out there, so people can see what you are doing. Some people will help, and a few may be detractors, but if you don’t make it known that you want something new, nothing will change for the better.
These tips have helped thousands of people lead fuller lives and discover parts of themselves they have never known. Happiness does come from moving forward. Give it a try.
(C) Copyright 2012-2018 Arline Miller with all rights and privileges reserved. Third party material is sourced, if known, to original location for credit and reference source.