WHY DO WE PROMOTE? WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO PROMOTE? WHAT SHOULDN’T WE PROMOTE? Some of you may be feeling a little confused since you read the blog regularly and most of my blogs are related to inspiration and sometimes health and decor tips. Recently, I have had the completion of a lifelong dream to occur and it requires promotion. As I was doing my promotional tweets, facebook personal and author page posts, I realized there are some things and events we should promote. This gave me the inspiration for this topic. Do we promote only materialistic items or is it possible to promote more than those items, and my mind thought about what we possess which can be worthy of promoting and the blog began. First let us consider how we might effectively market ourselves with the excerpt from a good article (link is below with excerpt attached.)
7 of the Most Effective Ways to Market Yourself Effectively
Unless you’re in business for yourself or looking for a job, the idea of marketing yourself may not sound like anything that concerns you. But it’s a skill everyone needs to master. Understand the basics and you’ll be prepared to position yourself as an expert. Here are seven proven strategies for marketing yourself successfully and effectively:
1. Identify your niche. What are your interests? Your talents? Your passions? Think about the ways you already bring these elements together and explore the possibilities for how you can engage them in in innovation and problem solving. Focus on the uncommon things you have to offer.
2. Seek recognition for your expertise. Showcase what you know by building a knowledge base. Grow your reputation and promote your informed opinions. The hallmark of expertise is figuring out what’s information and relevant. Develop relationships with thought leaders and media representatives in your field and your community.
3. Share your wisdom. Write prolifically about what you know to get your name in front of people as an expert. Contribute articles and blog posts any time you have an opportunity. Make sure it’s informative, well written, timely, and valuable to readers.
4. Build a community. Create a network of like-minded people in your field and work on connecting deeply and really getting to know one another. Genuine expertise is always drawn to other experts, and in their company you can open up a whole world of new possibilities.
5. Be of service to others. Become a trusted advisor and do what you can to help as many people as you can. How can you use what you do to be of service? Maybe you can offer your talents to a local nonprofit or set up an internship or mentoring opportunity to help someone starting out.
6. Be social savvy. Spend focused time on social media tools such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and electronic groups in your industry.
Share some of your expertise for free, and you can begin building a base of fans who trust you and look to you for expert advice.
7. Remember who you are- is the message to the world. Every word you say, everything that you communicate and do, is a message to the world. Just as a good organization protects its brand, protect your reputation by being intentional about the words you speak and the actions you perform.
The person who knows how best to market yourself is you. Start now to set yourself apart as a leader and generous citizen of your professional communities, and you can take yourself much further than you may have dreamed.
Note: As my own person, with my own quirks, likes and dislikes, I agree the person who knows you best to market or promote you is you. I am not saying to not seek professional promotion in the beginning if you feel uncomfortable with self promotion. I am comfortable in my skin and love promotion, events, networking, but the most rewarding is when I see others respond to my work, not me. It is all about the story, the books, the reader’s responses, and yes, the sales.
Here are my books and a sample of reviews (all are on Amazon for you to read:
Final thought for all of us: I don’t have a lot of money, fame, or I don’t come from a wealthy fame, but when all is said and done the best item I have to promote is I love to write, I love people who love others, I love life, and all of the adventures it can give. Promote what you love and it will come naturally but never try to be something you are not. God gave us what we ever need in this life if we will seek those talents, work hard to make them as good as they can be, and don’t forget even a breath is a gift so never be ungrateful for each one…..Until We Read Again……Arline Miller, author and blogger