I found out our grandchildren were coming over for Sunday lunch. We haven’t seen them in a while due to camps, trips, etc. and we wanted to have them what they call “Nana’s Surprise”. I know how they love strawberries and blueberries and spotted the pound cake that would make a quick base for something delicious. A Trifle would be different that serving the cake alone. I thought I would video my efforts and just a hint, It was a total success! The children and the grown ups complimented it. The visual is incredible so if you want to have some colorful and tasty visual desserts, Trifle with a Trifle.
Basic ingredients which can be substituted or replaced according to your taste buds and availability in your kitchen. Here is what I assembled:
- Fresh strawberries, 2 packages,washed and de-stemmed. I cut mine so they looked like hearts to display on the sides of the bowl.
- 1 T Karo Syrup (clear)
- 2 T. Granulated Sugar
- A large/high glass bowl to show off the layers.
- 1 package of fresh blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 1 large container of Cool Whip or you can make your own whipped cream but I find Cool Whip is easier to spoon over cake.
- 1/2 or small pound cake cubed into bite size pieces. I used 1/2 of a large cream cheese pound cake but any pound cake will do.
- 1 pkg of Instant Vanilla Pudding made with ingredients on pkg.
- 2 T. of strawberry jam (you can use homemade jam or store bought jam)
- 1 box Lorna Doone Cookies/Crackers with 4-6 cookies crumbled for topping
The video shows how I layered my Trifle but it is not set in stone. Nuts can be added, chocolate pudding, different jam flavor, graham crackers instead of Lorna Doone Cookies and the choices are endless so make it your own. I bought chocolate syrup to pour over it but I can assure you it wasn’t missed. I saved the chocolate syrup for my next surprise.
Until We Cook Again…..Happy Meals to You!…….Arline Miller
Look for the next video with my special chef Missy Haas who is my daughter and loves to cook as much as me. Reinventing Pickles will be our theme.
(C) Copyright 2012-2021 Arline Miller of Sipping Cups of Inspiration with all rights and privileges reserved. Third party material, if source is known, is listed for credit reference.