Do you love to use your imagination in baking and/or cooking? I do and I like to use the things in my pantry to see if they will work in an existing recipe like the one below. I know if you make this recipe the exact way it was created, it would be delicious and I am not knocking on this recipe. Quite the opposite, if I choose a recipe to base a creation on, it means I think it is a winner. I am posting the original recipe to give credit to the source.
This Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Mary Younkin’s new cookbook, The Weekday Lunches & Breakfasts Cookbook, is a recipe you’ll make again and again. With a super moist cake and two layers of cinnamon streusel, this morning treat is hard to resist. It is THE perfect accompaniment to your weekend morning coffee! This recipe was found on 365 Days of Baking & More.
Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake will be love at first bite! With a super moist cake and delicious cinnamon streusel layers, it’s the perfect treat with your morning coffee!4.62 from 31 votesCourse: Breakfast, DessertCuisine: AmericanKeyword: Coffee Cake, Sour Cream Coffee Cake Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 40 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour Servings: 12 people Calories: 408kcal Author: Lynne Feifer
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter in a medium bowl. Mix together with a fork until clumps are formed.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and grease a 9 X 9-inch pan with butter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour mixture.
- Add the sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan and with an offset spatula, spread to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon streusel evenly over the cake batter.
- Cover with remaining batter and then sprinkle again with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely before slicing.
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 193mg | Potassium: 89mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 695IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1.4mgHave you made this recipe?Please share on Instagram @365daysofbaking or tag #365daysofbaking!
Note from Arline Miller, Reinvention Queen: My changes which allowed me to put this tasty coffee cake together quickly. It didn’t change the recipe taste but with the use of a Moist Yellow Cake Mix, I assembled the coffee cake easily. I made the streusel the same but added a cup of chopped pecans for added flavor.
My thoughts after trying it is for the baker to make the choice of which way you like it. I am pleased with using the cake mix. I would like to say to all of my readers and followers, learn to reinvent recipes to make them your own or make them exactly like they were planned. It is entirely up to you……. Until we cook or bake again……..Arline Miller, Reinvention Queen
(C) Copyright 2012-2022 Arline Miller of Sipping Cups of Inspiration and Reinvention Queen with all rights and privileges reserved. Third party material is sourced to original location/author, if known, for credit reference.