I posted the following blog post about a year ago. Since that time, I have baked more ham, froze the bone with meat, and used them to season cabbage, greens, beans, soups, and I thought that it is a good mental reminder to think of ways to continue make the most of meats that we cook. I am adding a list of ideas of how to use leftover ham before the original post:
- SUGGESTIONS FOR LEFTOVER HAM
- Leftover Ham Salad
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Leftover Ham & Leek Pies
- Baked Ham and Penne Pasta
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Leftover Ham and Cheese Pizza
- Ham Hash
- Glazed Ham Hash Loaf
- Leftover Ham Breakfast Sandwich
- Ham and Cheese Grits Casserole
- Ham and Pineapple Rice
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Ham Pot Pie Soup
- Leftover Ham and Cheese Biscuits
- Leftover Ham Chowder
- Leftover Ham Sandwich
- Split Pea Soup
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Leftover Ham and Potato Soup
- Ham and Spinach Casserole
- Leftover Ham and Cheese Scones
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Muffins
- Leftover Ham and Cheese Frittata
- Waffles with Leftover Ham
- Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Ham and Cheese Bread Pudding
- Leftover Ham Pasta
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
For the recipes for all of those listed above please visit the following link to find out how delicious these recipes can be: https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/leftover-ham-recipes/
Last weekend I informed my husband I was craving an oven baked ham like I used to do before the days of the wonderful smoker prepared hams he does so well. I have to say I have enjoyed the past few years with Greg smoking the turkey and ham which gave me the room in the oven and the time it took. But like they say, you can take the girl out of the country but you can’t take the country out of the girl. I think the same goes as you can take the cook out of the kitchen but you can’t take the kitchen out of the cook. Yep, I was craving it and you may have figured something out about me, I will not be denied. As I was baking this wonderful and best smelling ham, my mind was already going to making all of the extra meals.
The pictures show several ways to use a baked ham. As someone who doesn’t like to waste any food, I will share a list of selections of how I will use leftover ham. I start thinking of what meals I use the meat at the onset of preparing it.
- How to use a baked ham for many meals without getting tired of it:
- Ham and rice (cook the rice in some broth with the ham pieces). Add garden peas and carrots or celery for flavor.
- Ham and stewed potatoes (Stew potatoes with onions and add ham pieces to enhance the potatoes) You can add vegetables but I prefer the ham and potatoes.
- Make a ham crusted pie. Use a bag of frozen vegetables thawed and a can of cream of celery or mushroom thinned with some heavy cream. Add cubed ham and mix with salt and pepper, garlic salt if you like, place in a frozen pie crust that you can bake but not brown and cover with another pie crust. Bake at temperature on pie crust package.
- Breakfast suggestion: Slice ham and place in hot skillet to fry slightly and use in biscuits with fried or scrambled eggs. The slightly browning will make a great taste change from baked ham.
- Cube ham pieces and add to soups. You can freeze the cubes and conveniently add to so many dishes as needed.
I could keep listing meal suggestions but you can use your own ideas once the creative juices begin to flow like the ham juices that come from making your own. I love fast and easy preparation but taking some time and preparing the foundation foods are worth every minute. Thanks for allowing me to share my ham ideas with you. It is great the first meal, fantastic the second round, and even more wonderful when you can freeze some for the next time you crave some old fashioned, slow baked ham by thawing it out and not even having to cook dinner. Until We Cook Again…..Happy Meals from Arline Miller, the Reinvention Queen.
(C) Copyright, 2012-2022 Arline Miller of Sipping Cups of Inspiration and Reinvention Queen with all rights and privileges reserved. Third Party Material is sourced to original location and author if known for credit references.